Sunday, May 3, 2020

Materazzi Explains What He Said to Zidane Before He Butted Him

It is one of the most striking images in the history of the World Cup finals. In fact, his embarrassing head butt to Materazzi in overtime of the 2006 Germany World Cup final was Zinedine Zidane's last action as a footballer, an action that still haunts him.

Almost 14 years have passed since that event that went around the world and marked the career of both footballers, but Materazzi wanted to explain once again what he told Zidane to end up losing the roles at such an important moment.

“I wasn't expecting it at the time. I was lucky not to wait for that episode, because if we had been prepared, we would both have ended up in the locker room”, the Italian began recounting in a direct through Instagram with Nicolò De Devitiis, from the television program Le Iene.

“We had a contact in the area. He scored the goal for France in the first half and the coach (Marcello Lippi) asked me to score. After the first crash, I apologized and he reacted badly, "said Materazzi. After several rifirrafes, everything was unleashed. "In the third crash I frowned at him and he said, 'I'll give you my shirt later.' I replied that I preferred her sister over her shirt. "

After listening to Materazzi, Zidane lost control and gave a severe blow to the chest of the Italian that caused his expulsion and entered directly into the history of the World Cup.